Using terms like followers in Twitter has led me to think of religion. So I tried to see the similarities between the drastically different subjects – to my surprise, they share a lot in common. In fact, without being accused of blasphemy or disrespect, I would go as far as saying that Social Media has more “followers” than a lot of known religions in the world.
In that light, I wanted to write a series of posts that would “ritualize” the practice of Social Media. This is the first post in the Social Media Religion, where I shed light on one of this religion’s infamous sects, Twitter!
I retyped the 10 commandments if you would like to share in your own way. I also invite you to add you own commandments. Think About It!
- Thou must be true to thyself and others
- Thou shalt not claim the tweets of other as your own
- Honor thy followers and those that follow thee
- Thou shalt not re-tweet without reading content
- Thou shalt express gratitude to all those that praise thee
- Thou shalt not suffice by re-tweets and @replies, thou must add unique content
- Thou shalt not follow thy neighbor only to profit, but to engage and learn
- Thou shalt not Auto-follow, Auto-reply, Auto-DM, Auto anything.
- Thou shalt not act like a bot
- Thou shalt not spread rumors